Wednesday, June 8, 2011

You speak so well!


The other day on twitter, 5fm DJ and Idols Judge, Gareth Cliff (@GarethCliff) tweeted:


“I think white people who talk about black people that "speak well" are really annoying, and patronising, and probably racist”.



I could not agree more! That is something I’ve encountered so many times in my life, and it’s uber annoying and très raciste!



It’s happened on planes and at schools and once at an old age home. The best/worst one (depending on your stance) is: many years ago I ordered pizza for delivery. When the guy got to my house and I walked out, he asked for the white ‘ntombi’ who ordered the pizza. You can imagine my shock. I simply told him I’d take it for her. Then when he heard me talk (and remember HE DELIVERS PIZZA) he told me I speak so well and then made me say ‘the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog’. I said it and didn’t understand the depth of the situation. He applauded and then went on his way leaving me confused.



What did he mean ‘I speak well’? Who speaks badly then? I mean really, you have people who are surprised that black people pronounce words the same way as some white people when we all go to the same schools now? That is totally retarded and close-minded.



White people, it is NOT a compliment to hear that YOU think we speak well. Tsek maan!



Either way, I’m sure you don’t know better; like calling a 56 year old man ‘Garden Boy’. I’m sure…

No comments:

Post a Comment