Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Sawubona" ... "Umm, hello"



So the raging debate about coconuts continues. Last week I went out and some guy came up to me, we did the introductions and then he proceeded to ask a question in Tswana. When I responded in English he asked me why if my name is Lesego, I answered the question in English. How is this still a relevant question in 2011?? Why is he so ignorant, that he doesn’t know that there are some people in the world who don’t speak certain languages just because they are black South Africans.



When I was younger, I used to walk around apologizing for being a so-called ‘coconut’. Every time someone would ask why I don’t know particular languages, I’d say sorry and offer an explanation about how no one enforced me learning it, I went to white schools all my life… blah blah! I’m now comfortably at the point where it no longer affects me what people think about something as insignificant as language. Then there are people who praise me because I’m a better coconut than the rest because at least I understand. My sister hardly understands Tswana but that’s never stopped her from excelling in school or getting around in life. It’s just one of those things.



Every time I run into one of these situations people end with “you must learn!”. For what? For you?? HA! I’ve been cool thanks. Tswana is something I wish I did know just for just but the fact that I don’t is nothing to do with anyone else. I’ve stopped apologizing for wanting to learn French and Spanish in spite of the fact that I can’t speak Tswana, I’ve stopped feeling bad that my accent sounds “white” to other people. I’ve just stopped!



All of this is a non issue in MY life and I just don’t understand why people think that they can impose whatever their opinions are on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment