Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I pledge allegiance...



A real life conversation I over-heard:


Guy: “Ay yo mami. Why you fronting like you don’t want me to holla”


Girl: “Nah nigga it ain’t even like that. I’m here with ma girls and I just wanna dance!”


Guy: “Aight. Let me see that booty shake on me”


*Girl proceeds to follow the booty-shaking instruction.



Now imagine that whole scenario where the guy is saying those words but sounds like he’s never spent a day outside Diepsloot and the girl, Eldorado Park. Strangest thing I’ve ever encountered but unfortunately is not an isolated incident.



Why is it that the U.S has colonized the entire third world without even leaving their shores? Modern day imperialism is intense. And this is not a black issue alone. There was a white girl at my school who was convinced she was Paris Hilton’s long-lost twin sister. Oh the delusion!



Then you have well-known folk like T-bo Touch and Da Les who incorporate American accents into their dialect. Da Les’ accent is slightly better, it’s clear he’s been practicing for a while. Touch however, has such a distinct Limpopo-esque tinge that it just turn into a comical disaster.



Mooooving on, every single conversation I engage in these days seems to be laced with Americanisms. I am a culprit in that I say “nigga” or “bitch nigga” to describe almost everyone. I’m trying to get rid of that bad habit but sometimes it’s the only appropriate term. But I can’t go a day without hearing (or seeing on twitter) “mami”, “dawg”, “yo wasup”, “holla”… etc.



It’s also very much in the way we dress. This trend of guys wearing skinny jeans (mostly bright coloured) makes me want to slap them with a skillet! And don’t even get me started on the accessories (earphones not in use and a backpack with ‘nerd’ glasses). I wish said guys knew they look like clowns. And ladies, I know it’s the in thing to celebrate booty but let’s not get carried away with those bandage dresses that end just below your crack and just above the sea of dimples. It’s not ok. And then red or blonde weaves?? WHY?!



Let’s celebrate the things that make us uniquely South African/ African and be proud that there are things that separate us from Devonte and Shaquisha.

No comments:

Post a Comment